Michael L. Keepe
Adjunct Lecturer in Entrepreneurship
- DMA, Saxophone Performance (minor in Music Business), The University of Arizona
Areas of Research/Expertise
- Music Industry/Business
- Music Education
- Music Performance
- ENTR 406, Principles of Entrepreneurship
Keepe, Michael. DMA Lecture Recital Document, The Hollywood Saxophone Quartet: Its History and Contributions to Saxophone Quartet Performance in the United States, 2012.
Keepe, Michael. The Hollywood Saxophone Quartet: A Brief History www.hollywoodsaxophonequartet.com, 2011.
Keepe, Michael. Review: A. Jackson. The Legendary Saxophonists Collection: A Critical Analytic Guide to the Developmental Performance History of the Saxophone. Saxophone Symposium (Vol. 33, 2009)
Book Review of Artist Development: A distinctive guide to the music industry’s lost art, 5th ed. Greendell, New Jersey: Foley Entertainment, Inc., 2009. By Eugene Foley. www.foleyentertainment.com
Book Review of Straight Ahead: A Comprehensive Guide to the Business of Jazz (without sacrificing dignity or artistic integrity). Tucson: Outward Visions Books, 2004. By Marty Khan. www.outwardvisions.com
Keepe, Michael. Book Reviews: Music & Entertainment Industry Educators Association Journal (Vol. 9, No. 1, 2009): Artist Development: A distinctive guide to the music industry’s lost art, 5th ed. by Eugene Foley. Greendell, New Jersey: Foley Entertainment, Inc., 2009; Straight Ahead: A Comprehensive Guide to the Business of Jazz (without sacrificing dignity or artistic integrity) by Marty Khan. Tucson: Outward Visions Books, 2004.
The Saxophone Quartet and its Role in History, America’s Millennium Tribute to Adolphe Sax, Series II, Volume 14, Ghost Page, AUR Recordings, AUR CD 3131, 2008.
The Saxophone Concerto and its Role in History, America’s Millennium Tribute to Adolphe Sax, Series II, Volume 14, Ghost Page, AUR Recordings, AUR CD 3129, 2007.
- American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers
- Broadcast Music Incorporated
- Chamber Music America
- College Music Society
- Music and Entertainment Industry Educators Association
- National Music Publishers Association
- North American Saxophone Alliance
- Southern Arizona Arts & Cultural Alliance
- Tucson Music Teachers Association (Past President)
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Adjunct Faculty Award, Pima Community College, 2012
- Northern Trust Piper Enrichment Research Grant Award, 2011
- Distinguished Graduate Student Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement University of Arizona College of Fine Arts, School of Music Advisory Board, 2010
- Arizona Commission on the Arts, Professional Development Grant, 2009
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Saxophone and Camerata Career Development programs, University of Arizona, 2008-2011
- American Composers Forum, Performance Grant, 2005-2006
Dr. Michael Keepe is Adjunct Lecturer for the McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship at the University of Arizona, and Adjunct Instructor of Saxophone and Music Industry at Pima College in Tucson, Arizona. He has performed locally with the Arizona Opera, Tucson Symphony, Tucson Chamber Orchestra, the University of Arizona Symphony, and has recorded as soloist with the University of Arizona Wind Ensemble. Mike performs regularly with, and is the business manager of, the Rodriguez & Keepe Duo and the Presidio Saxophone Quartet. The former is now in its 20th season. The latter formed in 1998 as the pilot group for the University of Arizona’s Camerata Career Development Program. This program was created through UA's School of Music and McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship to provide a business foundation for musicians entering the professional marketplace. The Presidio Quartet has since garnered international acclaim and has performed throughout the United States and Mexico. As a freelance musician Mike has recorded as a studio musician and has performed with artists such as Michael Feinstein, Bernadette Peters, the Cab Calloway Orchestra, and the Temptations.Dr. Keepe is also the owner of Keepe Publishing House, specializing in new music for saxophone. The company represents Pulitzer Prize and Emmy Award-winning composers, as well as many of today's rising talents. Mike received a Doctorate in Saxophone Performance with a Minor in Music Business at the University of Arizona. He is a Performing Artist and Clinician for the Selmer Company performing on Selmer (Paris) saxophones exclusively, and can be heard on the Albany, AUR, Coseismic and Nostalgie recording labels.