Areas of Expertise
- Workplace Relationships
- Sociocultural Processes of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Publications and Working Papers
Sias, P.M. (2009). Organizing Relationships: Traditional and emerging perspectives on workplace relationships. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Salvador, M.W., & Sias, P. M. (Eds.) (1998). The public voice in a democracy at risk. Westport, CT: Praeger.
Chapters in Books (partial list)
Sias, P.M. (2014). Implications of Communication Research for Improving Employee Development Policies, Procedures, and Functions. In (V.D. Miller & M.E. Gordon). Meeting the challenge of Human Resource Management: A Communication Perspective (pp. 145-152). New York: Routledge.
Kramer, M.W., & Sias, P.M. (2014). Interpersonal communication in formal organizations. Invited chapter in (C. Berger, Ed.), Handbook of Communication Science: Interpersonal Communication, Vol. 6 (pp. 467-492). Berlin, Germany: DeGruyter Mouton.
Sias, P.M., & Kopaneva, I. (2014). Leadership relationships and organizational culture. Invited chapter in (M. Marchiori, Ed.) Faces of Organizational Communication, Vol. 6 (pp. 35-48). Brazil: Difusao Editora.
Sias, P.M. (2013). Workplace relationships. Invited chapter in L. Putnam & D. Mumby (Eds.) The SAGE handbook of organizational communication, 3rd ed. (pp. 375-400). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Sias, P.M., & Gallagher, E.M. (2013). New employee socialization. Invited chapter in J. Wrench (Ed.), Workplace communication for the 21st Century: Tools and strategies that impact the bottom line, Vol. 1. (pp. 83-108). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
Sias, P.M. (2012). Exclusive or exclusory: Workplace Relationships and Ostracism, cliques, and outcasts. In B.L. Omdahl & J.M. Harden Fritz (Eds.). Problematic Relationships in the Workplace, Volume II. Peter Lang Publishers.
Refereed Journal Articles (partial list)
Sias, P.M., Pedersen, H.C., Gallagher, E.B., & Kopaneva, I. (2012). Workplace friendship in the electronically-connected organization. Human Communication Research, 38, 253-279.
Sias, P.M., Gallagher, E.M., Kopaneva, I., & Pedersen, H. (2012). Peer workplace friendship maintenance: Impact of task interdependence, attachment style, and gender. Communication Research, 39, 239-268.
Bryant, E., & Sias, P.M. (2011). Sensemaking and relational consequences of peer coworker deception. Communication Monographs, 78, 115-137.
Norton, T.M., Sias, P.M., & Brown, S. (2011). Experiencing and managing uncertainty about climate change. Journal of Applied Communication Research, 39, 290-309.
Silva, D., & Sias, P.M. (2010). Connection, restructuring, and buffering: How groups link individuals and organizations. Journal of Applied Communication Research, 38, 145-166.
Gallagher, E., & Sias, P.M. (2009). Newcomers as a source of uncertainty: Veteran information seeking about new hires. Western Journal of Communication, 73, 23-46.
Sias, P.M., Drzewiecka, J., Meares, M.M, Bent, R., Ortega, M., White, C. (2008). Intercultural friendship development. Communication Reports, 21, 1-13.
Fix, B., & Sias, P.M. (2006). Person-centered communication, leader-member exchange, and job satisfaction. Communication Research Reports, 23, 35-44.
Conference Presentations (partial list)
Sias, P.M. (2013, October). Panelist, The Five R’s of supporting real student startups: Relationship, relationship, relationship, + Risk and Reward. Annual conference of the Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers. Kansas City, MO.
Sias, P.M., Norton, T.M., Brown, S., Hardy, K., Kopaneva, I., Typhina, E., Woffinden, R., & Zhu, Z. (2011, November). Experiencing and managing job uncertainty. Competitive Paper presented to the Organizational Communication Division at the 2011 National Communication Association Convention, New Orleans, LA.
Sias, P.M., Pedersen, H.C., Gallagher, E.B., & Kopaneva, I. (November, 2011). Workplace friendship in the electronically-connected organization. Competitive Paper presented to the Organizational Communication Division at the 2010 National Communication Association Convention.
Bryant, E., & Sias, P.M. (2010, November). "When I had tea with Stephen King:" Sensemaking and Relational Consequences of Peer Coworker Deception. “Top Four” Paper in Organizational Communication. National Communication Association Convention, San Francisco, CA.
Sias, P.M., Gallagher, E.M., Kopaneva, I., & Pedersen, H. (2010, November). Maintaining Peer Workplace Friendships: Tactics and Perceived Politeness. National Communication Association Convention, San Francisco, CA.
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- Associate Editor, Management Communication Quarterly 2011-present
- Editorial Board, Communication Research, 2012-present
- Editorial Board, Communication Studies, 2012-present
- Editorial Board, Communication Studies, 2002-2006
- Editorial Board, Communication Monographs, 2001-2004
- Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Communication Research, 2003-2005
- Editorial Board, Communication Education, 1999-2002
Awards and Honors
- 2011 Invited "Last Lecture" Speaker, Randy Pausch Memorial Last Lecture Series, Washington State University.
- 2007-2008 Washington State University College of Liberal Arts "Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award."
- 2006, 2008, 2009 Outstanding Mentor Award, WSU Women & Leadership Alliance Forum
- 2006 "Graduate Teaching and Mentoring Award," WSU Graduate Students in Communication Association.
- 1995, 1996, 2000, 2010 "Top Four" paper in Organizational Communication, National Communication Association (formerly Speech Communication Association).
- 1995 "Top Four" paper in Applied Communication, Speech Communication Association (co-authored with Fredric Jablin).
- 1992-1993 "W. Charles Redding Outstanding Dissertation Award" for the outstanding doctoral dissertation in organizational communication, sponsored by the International Communication Association.